Peter Barnes | Ephesians 2:14-18
Christ is our Peace
– cf. Isa.9:6; Micah 5:5. The word ‘peace’ is found four times in Eph.2:14-17
1. Christ is peace between Jewish and Gentile Christians.
– Markus Barth says that this means that Jews do not need to hear the gospel. That is not what Paul is saying.
– Over the barricade in the Temple was a sign: ‘No foreigner may enter within the barricade which surrounds the sanctuary and enclosure. Anyone who is caught doing so will have himself to blame for his ensuing death.’
– Acts 21:26-31; note Gal.2:11-16.
2. Christ first achieves peace with God through His cross.
– 2:14-17; Rom.5:1-2; 2 Thess.3:16
3. But God brings us near by the blood of Christ.
-2:18, same as 1:3-14
In peace let me resign my breath
And Thy salvation see;
My sins deserve eternal death,
But Jesus died for me.