Peter Barnes | Ephesians 2:8-10
The Scheme of Salvation
– Reformation solas: grace, faith, Christ, Scripture, to the glory of God
1. Salvation is all of grace.
– 2:8a; J. C. Ryle was converted by this.
And when I’m to die,
Receive me, I’ll cry,
For Jesus has loved me,
I cannot tell why
– Charles Simeon and John Wesley
2. We receive this gift by the gift of faith.
– 2:8-9; 1 Cor.12:3; Acts 13:48; 16:14; 18:27; Phil.1:29; John 6:44.
– Luke 18:9-11. There is no room for that in the Christian life (1 Cor.1:30-31; Rom.3:27-28; 4:2-5; Phil.3:3).
– Thomas Aquinas saw his works on theology as straw.
3. Grace leads to good works which God has prepared beforehand.
-2:10; Titus 2:13-14; 3:4-8