Peter Barnes | Exodus 20:15
You Shall Not Steal (Ex.20:15)
1 Kings 21:1-24; Luke 19:1-10
1. We are caretakers, not owners.
– Lev.25:23; Ps.24:1; 50:10-12; 1 Tim.6:17
2. The breadth of this commandment.
(a) We are to take care of other people’s property (Ex.21:33-34; 23:4)
(b) We are to be honest in all business dealings (Prov.11:1, 26)
(c) We are to pay our debts (Ps.37:21)
3. The penalty is restitution plus compensation.
– Proverbs 6:30-31; Lev.6:1-7; Ex.22:1, 4; Luke 19:8; revival in Belfast shipyards in 1922-3; Tit.2:9-10
– note man-stealing in Ex.21:16
4. Living contentedly.
(a) Put God first (Matt.6:33)
(b) Learn to be content in all circumstances (Phil.4:11-12)
(c) Take God’s promises seriously (Heb.13:5)
(d) Put off dishonest and put on honesty and generosity (Eph.4:28; Ps.37:16-17)