Peter Barnes | Song of Songs 5:2-6:13
Love in the Dull Times
(Song of Songs 5:2-6:13)
G. K. Chesterton: ‘The first two facts which a healthy boy or girl feels about sex are these: first that it is beautiful and then that it is dangerous.’
1. The best marriage knows dull times.
– 5:2-8; she has a headache (5:3); contrary to 1 Cor.7:3-5
– leads to his going off, and she regrets it and follows him into the city, looking for him
2. The woman reaffirms her love.
– she may arouse the interest of her friends (6:1), and so she warns them that he is hers (6:2-3)
3. Anticipation is recaptured.
– 6:4-9; love makes us a bit silly
– 6:11-12 are difficult verses in the Hebrew, but they are back together, and the verses clearly refer to the sexual union.