Peter Barnes: Follow Paul and Guard the Deposit, 1 Samuel 12:1-21; 2 Timothy 1:1-14
(Sunday 12 July 2020 Morning Service, 9.00 a.m.)
– Paul writes of the plan of salvation in verses 9-10; then he speaks of himself as one who believed and proclaimed this in verses 11-12; and now he focuses on Timothy’s tasks in verses 13-14.
1. We are to be faithful to the apostolic word.
– 1:13a,b. Then in verse 14 Paul tells Timothy to ‘guard the good deposit entrusted to you’ (1 Tim.6:20).
New Testament writers knew that they were writing Scripture.- ‘sound’ words are literally, ‘healthy’ words. We live in an age of weasel words. Paul’s words are sound – Gal.1:11-12.- Exodus 22:10-15.
Timothy had been given life-giving words. ‘Guard the deposit.’
2. We are to carry this out in faith and love in Christ.
– 1:13. See Col.3:14; Eph.4:15. Samuel Rutherford: ‘I gave Christ to you with good-will.’
3. We are to guard the deposit by the Holy Spirit.
– 1:14. Without the Holy Spirit, we could not know the gospel, and we cannot do anything worthwhile in the Christian life.
– for prayer, read Eph.2:18. Through Christ (the Son) Christians have access to the Father in one Spirit. It is somewhat similar in guarding the deposit. We are to guard the deposit, but it is the Spirit who indwells us who gives us the capacity to do this.
– J. Gresham Machen: ‘To move the world you must have a place to stand.’