Peter Barnes: Be Not Ashamed Of Gospel Suffering, 2 Timothy 1:8 (Sunday 21 June 2020 Morning Service, 9.00 a.m.)
1. Do not be ashamed of speaking of Christ.
– 1:8a. John Coleridge Patteson, when he was a student at Eton, used to read his Bible with a copy
of Shakespeare over it. Mark 8:38.
3. Ashamed of Jesus! Yes, I may,
When I’ve no sin to wash away,
No tears to wipe, no good to crave,
And no immortal soul to save.
4. Till then, nor is the boasting vain,
Till then, I’ll boast the Saviour slain;
And O may this my glory be,
That Christ is not ashamed of me (Joseph Grigg).
– Rom.1:16. John Stott: ‘We are all more sensitive to public opinion than we would like to admit’.
That is putting it mildly
2. Do not be ashamed of His suffering apostle.
– 1:8b; Matt.25:36; see 2 Tim.1:15. A prisoner of the Lord – Eph.3:1; 4:1; Philemon 1, 9.
– Miss West and Miss Caroline MacDonald ministered to Tokichi Ishii who was hanged for
murder in Tokyo in 1918
3. Share in suffering for the gospel.
– 1:8c. Contrast to John Wimber’s Power Evangelism
– Phil.1:29-30. Isaac Watts (1674-1748):
I’m not ashamed to own my Lord,
Or to defend His cause ….
Jesus, my Lord! I know His name,
His name is all my boast’.