Peter Barnes | Revelation 20:11-15
Before God’s Judgment Seat
– the throne could be God’s or Christ’s for it is the one throne (Rev.7:15-17; 22:1). All of life is governed by Hebrews 9:27.
Not like Dodo’s Caucus race in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland where everybody wins.
1. The judgment is universal.
– 20:11-13; will be fearful (note Psalm 114)
– no one will be missing.
2. The judgment is according to works.
– 20:12-13; see also Psalm 62:12; Prov.24:12; Matt.16:27; 2 Cor.5:10; Rev.22:12
– Satan says to Eve in Paradise Lost: ‘God cannot hurt you, and be just.’ That is the devil’s lie; it underestimates the sinfulness of sin and the holiness of God.
3. The judgment is forever.
– 20:14-15; Kerry Packer said there were no such places as heaven and hell
– the book of life carries the names of the elect (Rev.13:8). Staupitz to Luther: ‘Look to the wounds of Christ.’