Peter Barnes: Matthew 21:42
(1 April 2018)
SERMON NOTES: THE NEW TEMPLE (Matt.21:42)
The vineyard is Israel – as we can see from Psalm 80:8-9 and Isaiah 5:1-2, 7. Note Rom.11:20-22. Matt. 21:42 is from Psalm 118:22-23.
1. The Stone is rejected.
– the temple with its sacrifices for sin is the focal point of Jewish religious life. Jesus has already made an extraordinary pronouncement – Matt.12:6. See also 21:12-13, 18-19, 23-27. The stone is temple language, and also Messianic language – Dan.2:34-35.
– Isa.53:1-3; John 1:11. There is a pattern – Jer.7:25-26.
J. C. Ryle: ‘Nothing offends God so much as neglect of privileges. Much has been given to us, and much will be required.’
2. The Stone is vindicated.
– Don Carson says this is the capstone on top of the building, but Darrell Bock is more convincing in saying that it is the foundation stone. The executed one would be the chief cornerstone in the new living temple – Acts 4:8-12; Eph.2:19-22; 1 Pet.2:4-8.
3. This is marvellous in our eyes.
– 21:42. The rejection and the vindication were the Lord’s doing. Judgment will come to God’s own covenant people – 21:43-44. Jesus is both Saviour and Judge. Stumble at the chief cornerstone, and the stone will crush us. Today He says to all ‘Come’ – Matt.11:28; in the judgment He will say ‘Depart’ to those who have not come – Matt.25:41.
– what Israel suffered in this life is in v.43. About forty years later, the Romans destroyed Jerusalem – Matt.24:1-2.
– John Newton: Dear Name! The rock on which I build.