Peter Barnes: Genesis 32:1-21
SERMON NOTES: FACING ESAU AGAIN (Genesis 32:1-21)
Jacob decided to return home – Gen.30:25. God endorsed that decision – Gen.31:3. Ever had to eat humble pie because of something you have done wrong to an unbeliever?
- God cares for His people.
– 32:1-2. God had sent angels to minister to Jacob to reassure him – Gen.28:12-15; Heb.1:14; 2 Kings 6:15-17; Psalm 34:7.
– when God gives a command, He reassures with His presence – Matt.28:19-20. Amy Carmichael: ‘one can’t save and then pitchfork souls into heaven’.
- When we feel afraid …
– 32:3-5, 6, 7-8, 13-15. If each milking camel in verse 15 had one colt, the total number of animals would have been 580. Jacob sent his party on in a number of successive droves, with Jacob himself coming up in the rear – 32:16-21.
Was this a bribe or a token of goodwill? – Prov.17:8; 18:16. Prepare ahead – e.g. Neh.2:8, 11-13; 4:9; Joshua 8:1.
- Bring your fears to the Lord.
– 32:9-12. Jacob is praying for safety (32:11).
– Jacob’s humility before God. Charles Simeon said: ‘I would have a conscious unworthiness to pervade every act and habit of my soul.’
– Jacob prays God’s promises back to Him – 32:9, 12; Ex. 32:9-14. Gal.3:29.