Peter Barnes | Ezekiel 3:16-27
EZEKIEL AS WATCHMAN
Ezekiel 3:16-27; Acts 20:17-38
1. We are responsible to speak God’s Word.
– 3:16-17 – either Ezekiel is pondering these things or there is empathy with his people, as in Job 2:13
– watchman as in Jer.6:16-17
– responsibility to the wicked and the righteous (3:18-21); see Acts 20:25-27
2. Our first call is to repent.
– 3:18-21; William Greenhill: ‘The generality of people are enemies to their own good and active to their own ruin.’
– Matt.3:1-2 (John the Baptist); 4:17 (Jesus); Acts 17:30 (Paul)
– ‘Faith grows upon the boil of felt sin’ (Andrew Bonar)
3. Ezekiel is to speak only as God’s mouthpiece.
3:22-27 – go home, get tied up, and keep quiet!
– not total dumbness, but Ezekiel as Ezekiel would say nothing until Ezekiel 33:22; at times God withdraws His word (Amos 8:11-12).