Peter Barnes | Galatians 4:4-5
GOD SENT FORTH HIS SON
1. Christ is the centre of history.
– 4:4; B.C. (Before Christ) and A.D. (Anno Domini) divides all history from the time of Christ’s first coming.
– Mark 1:15; 1 Cor.10:11
2. The Son of God was born as a Jewish man.
– 4:4; God sent the prophets and apostles (e.g. Jer.7:25; Acts 22:21) but the Son of God is sent from heaven (Rom.8:3-4; 2 Cor.8:9; Phil.2:6-11; Col.15-20)
– as a man born of a woman (Job 14:1; Matt.11:11); not the Virgin Birth so much as the true humanity of Christ, the seed of the woman (Gen.3:15)
– to keep the law; the giver of the law kept the law (Matt.12:8)
3. The Son of God came to redeem sinners to make them sons.
– 4:5; it is the death that redeems, not the birth; Rom.8:3
– the Son of God was made man that we might become sons of God; Deut.15:15 on John Newton’s mantelpiece.