Peter Barnes | 1 Peter 3:7
THE CHRISTIAN HUSBAND
1 Peter 3:7
– Peter is dealing with a Christian husband married to a Christian wife.
1. Be understanding.
– the ESV and the NKJV have ‘understanding, while the NIV has ‘be considerate’, but the word literally is ‘knowledge’.
– 1 Sam.1:1-8; some tenderness there, but lacking something.
– James Dobson: What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew About Women.
(b) ‘submit’ means ‘submit’ but it does not mean ‘bow and scrape’;
(c) the greater domain of the wife is the household;
(d) use your wife’s gifts.
(e) know the sexual differences – physically and physiologically. 1 Cor.7:3-5.
(f) be aware of routines, especially when children arrive.
2. Honour the weaker vessel.
– the word ‘honour’ is the same word as ‘precious’ in 1:19. See Proverbs 31:28-29. How is the woman ‘the weaker vessel’? It is a matter of physical power and authority – Judges 4:4-11. A woman wants a man she can look up to, but not one who looks down on her.
3. Live as fellow heirs of grace.
– Gal.3:28, but note Matt.5:23-24. Nothing hinders the work of God more than troubles in the home.