Peter Barnes | 1 Kings 2:1-12
FINAL INSTRUCTIONS TO SOLOMON
1 Kings 2:1-12
– Jacob spoke to all twelve of his sons in Genesis 49; David only to Solomon.
1. Face the reality of death.
– 2:1-2a; like Josh. 23:14. Most of humanity will live life along the lines of ‘I know I am going to die, but I don’t believe it.’ Thomas Boston: life is ‘a short preface to a long eternity’. Thomas Chalmers: ‘I had forgotten two magnitudes – I thought not of the littleness of time – I recklessly thought not of the greatness of eternity!’
– 2:10-12; see Acts 2:29. Christianity is not escapist.
2. Be strong.
– 2:2b; Deut.31:23; Josh.1:7; 1 Cor.16:33; Eph.6:10. The temptation is strong; you be stronger.
– At the stake in 1555, Hugh Latimer told Nicholas Ridley: ‘Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man. We shall this day light such a candle, by God’s grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.’
3. Be obedient to God’s Word.
– 2:3-4; like 2 Tim.4:1-2.
(a) Joab – 2:5-6. It is not merciful to be weak before murderers.
(b) Barzillai – 2:7. Repay kindness with kindness.
(c) Shimei – 2:8-9.
David is a type of Christ (Rev.22:16), but he shows us why we need Christ.