Peter Barnes | 1 Peter 2:9-10
NEW ISRAEL PROCLAIMS GOD
1 Peter 2:9-10
– quotes from three parts of the Old Testament – Ex.19:5-6; Isa.43:20-21; and Hosea 2:23.
1. The Church is New Israel.
(a) a chosen people. Edmund Clowney: ‘Israel is a chosen people, but not a choice people.’ See 1 Corinthians 1:27-29.
(b) a royal priesthood. Those in Christ share in His priesthood and His kingship – 2 Timothy 2:12 and Revelation 1:5b-6.
(c) a holy nation.
(d) a people for God’s own possession. The KJV says ‘a peculiar people’! Phil.3:3.
2. Christians have received light, a new identity, and mercy.
(a) they have come from unbelieving darkness to gospel light.
– 2 Cor.4:6; Eph.4:18; 5:8
(b) they have a new identity. Once unbelievers belonged to a people who were no people – Eph.2:11-13.
(c) they have received mercy. See Luke 18:13-14.
3. Christians are to praise the name of God.
– 2:9. ‘Man’s chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever’ (Westminster Shorter Catechism Q.1).
Ye servants of God, your master proclaim,
And publish abroad His wonderful Name (Charles Wesley).