Peter Barnes | 2 Samuel 21:1-14
DAVID AVENGES THE GIBEONITES
2 Samuel 21:1-14
– this seems horrible, and lacking in much that is elevating or useful in the Christian life.
1. There are covenant curses.
– 21:1-2. We do not know the reasons for every famine, but this is a covenant curse – Lev.26:18-20. The background is found in Joshua 9:3-9, 16, 18-20.
– if people lie when they are taking baptismal vows or interpret marriage vows anyway they like, there are covenant curses to suffer.
2. There is a need for atonement.
– 21:3-9. There is corporate solidarity – Deut.21:1-9; and also an individual responsibility – Deut.24:16.
– Num.35:33. Atonement must be made; sin must be paid for.
3. Compassion is also needed.
– 21:10-14a. Justice and compassion seem to be struggling with each other in this whole sad episode.
– the liberals are horrified, and say that this reveals David’s low morality. God who sent the famine (21:1), and sent the rains (21:10). God is behind all that takes place (21:14b).
Atonement in blood is needed, and at Calvary, Christ provided it, and God responded to the plea for the land.