Peter Barnes | 2 Samuel 17:15-29
RESPONDING TO TROUBLES
2 Samuel 17:15-29
– in the latter part of 2 Samuel 17 we read of a series of incidents leading up to the battle between David and Absalom.
1. The wisdom, courage and kindness of the godly.
(a) Hushai covers all options. 17:15-16; Wisdom covers all options in a fallen world.
(b) Jonathan (not Saul’s son) and Ahimaaz show courage. 17:17-19, 21-24. Fear should not govern how we live our lives.
(c) Nahash, Machir and Barzillai treat David kindly and generously. 17:27-29; they are showing generosity and hospitality to David in his darkest hour – 1 Peter 4:9-10.
2. We can deceive to save.
– 17:20-21. The evangelical commentators invariably say that the Bible simply records this; it does not pass any moral comment on it. Given her situation, the only way she could succeed was to lie.
3. The ambitious have nothing to live for.
– 17:23; note 16:23. If you live for success, and you experience failure, you will despair.
– Gal.6:14. George Mueller: ‘There was a day when I died – died to George Mueller, his opinions, preferences, and will; died to the world, its approval or censure; died to the approval or blame of my brethren or friends; and since then I have studied only to show myself approved unto God.’