Peter Barnes | Ezekiel 16
A HISTORY OF JERUSALEM
– This is graphic and confronting
1. God loves the unlovely.
– 16:1-14; God finds Israel as an abandoned baby girl; exposure of infants and abortion are signs of a decadent culture
– God speaks the word of life: ‘Live!’ (16:6) This is the word that converted Thomas Goodwin in 1620.
– Deut.9:4-6; 1 Cor.1:26-29
2. Jerusalem’s proud and idolatrous unfaithfulness.
– 16:15-34; Israel chased after the nations (vv.26, 28, 29) and carried out abominable practices (16:20-21)
3. Sin brings judgment.
– 16:35-43; like Sodom (Gen.19) and Samaria (2 Kings 17)
4. Yet God will graciously establish His covenant.
– 16:60-63; the Gentiles will be called in, but not on the basis of the Mosaic covenant; there will be atonement for sin and repentance.