Peter Barnes | Micah 4:1-5
THE FUTURE KINGDOM
Micah has just told us that Jerusalem would be destroyed (3:12). In Micah 4:1-8 he looks to a wonderful future for Zion.
1. Zion is exalted.
– 4:1. The latter days arrive at the First Coming of Jesus (Acts 2:17; Heb.1:2). Zion is surely the heavenly Zion – Heb.12:22-24. This will be revealed in all its glory at the Second Coming – Rev.21:10, 22-27.
– Jerusalem was only about 730 metres or 2,400 feet high. This is spiritual Jerusalem.
2. The Gentiles will join Zion.
– 4:1d-2. Gentiles will come into the new Zion (note Gen.12:3).
– the Gentiles will come to Zion, and the word of the Lord will go out from Zion (Luke 24:47; Acts 1:8).
– to Gentiles steeped in idolatry, brutality and immorality – Eph.2:11-13.
3. There will be justice, peace, and faithfulness.
– 4:3-5. This is not perfection for in verse 5 we see that there are still peoples who walk in the name of their own gods. But it will be real justice, peace, and faithfulness.
– This was achieved to some degree under Solomon – 1 Kings 4:24-25; 5:4. More was to come – Zech.3:8-10.