Peter Barnes | Genesis 35:22; 39:1-23
WHEN TEMPTATION COMES
Genesis 35:22; 39:1-23; 1 Cor.6:12-20
Vice is a monster of so frightful mien
As to be hated needs but to be seen;
Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
We first endure, then pity, then embrace.
1. Obligations to others.
– 39:8-9; 1 Thess.4:1-6. Contrast that to Reuben – Gen.35:22; see 2 Sam.3:7; Gen.49:3-4.
2. Respect for the marriage covenant.
– 39:9a (‘you are his wife’). Marriage in the Bible is not a distinctly Christian sacrament, but a creation ordinance. Joseph recognised that even a pagan marriage was a marriage.
3. Reverence for God.
– 39:9b; Heb.4:13; Num.32:23
– Gen.39:10-12. All the world says: ‘Nobody will know, no harm will come from it.’ Not Joseph – 1 Cor.6:18; 2 Tim.2:22.
– Prov.8:13; 16:6.
Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin;
Each victory will help you some other to win (H. R. Palmer).