Peter Barnes | Genesis 4:1; 9:20-27; 4:19
BLESSING, SHAME, DISTORTIONS
Gen.4:1; 9:20-27; 4:19
– Before the Fall, sex was created good, and designed to be expressed within a heterosexual, monogamous, and lifelong union.
1. Some blessing still remains.
– 4:1; recall 3:15. Yet it is not only labour and pain. God has not abandoned His plan of Genesis 1:28.
– 9:1. This repeats what God said before the Fall in Genesis 1:28. Also 21:1-7 and even 26:6-9. The ESV says Isaac was laughing with Rebekah, but the NIV and NASB say he was caressing her, while the NKJV has ‘showing endearment’.
2. Shame enters into relationships.
– Genesis 2:25; now look at 9:20-27.
– Gen.9:23; Prov.17:9.
3. There are distortions of God’s plan.
– 4:19; 16:1-6. Jacob married Rachel and Leah, plus took two concubines.
– the Qur’an endorses polygamy. Muhammad himself married thirteen wives. The Bible describes what some men did.
– we need God’s wisdom and God’s salvation to make our way through this world.