Peter Barnes | 1 Samuel 26
1 Samuel 26
– similar to 1 Samuel 24
1. Faith means we need to learn again and again.
– we repeat sins e.g. Gen.12:10-13 & 20:1-2
– we need to be reminded again and again (Phil.3:1; 2 Pet.1:12)
Tell me the story often,
For I forget so soon;
The early dew of morning
Has passed away at noon.
2. Faith means we patiently trust God’s providence.
– Abishai (David’s nephew, 1 Chron.2:16) is ready to kill Saul
– David trusts God’s Word and waits patiently (26:10)
3. Faith means we know the depth of sin.
– Saul is like Pharaoh in Ex.10:16-17
– be aware of evil and false faith (see John 2:24-25); David shows mercy to Saul, but does not trust him