Peter Barnes | John 16:12-15
The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit
Ezekiel 11:14-25; John 16:4b-15
This section here in John 16:12-15 is the fifth and the last section on the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is a ‘He’, and He will come (16:13), He will guide (16:13), He will speak or declare (16:13-15), and He will hear (16:13).
1. The Holy Spirit fills out Christ’s truth.
– 16:12-13; Mark 4:33.
– The Holy Spirit will not add extra truths, but fill out the truths that Christ has given. See John 14:26; Eph.3:2-5.
– For example, Christ says that He came to give His life as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45), but Paul explains in more detail how that works in Romans 3:21-26 – read.
– Calvin: ‘as soon as the Spirit is severed from Christ’s Word the door is open to all sorts of craziness and impostures.’
2. The Spirit’s main task is to glorify Christ.
– 16:14; cf. 15:26; the substance on the basic gospel is in 1 Cor.15:3-4.
3. The Spirit makes Christ known.
– 16:14b-15. The Spirit does not add to the work of Christ, but makes it known.
– some are hardened – Acts 7:51-54, 57-58; others become Christians – 1 Corinthians 14:24-25.
– 1 Cor.2:14.