Peter Barnes | 1 Samuel 24:1-22
Blessed are the Merciful
1 Samuel 24:1-22
– David does better in a dark cave in Engedi than he does later on the roof of the royal palace in Jerusalem.
1. Be merciful.
– 24:1-7; David resists the temptation to be governed by opportunity rather than the Word.
– Matt.5:7; Prov.24:29
2. Give godly reproof.
– 24:8-15; David shows great respect to Saul but he is also rebuking him gently and intelligently.
3. Be discerning.
– Saul weeps (v.16), sees something of his sins (vv.17-19), feels a new affection for David (vv.16,19), and professes to submit to God’s will (v.20).
– but it illustrates 2 Cor.7:10
– David is discerning enough not to trust Saul (24:22)