Note: no sermon audio available
Peter Barnes | John 14:21-24
Love, Obedience and Indwelling
Joshua 1:1-9; John 14:15-26
– distinction between Christ’s people and the world
1. Our obedience to Christ is proof of our love for Him.
– 14:21; see 14:15, 23-24
– Luke 6:46; see Luke 6:47-49
2. God indwells His people.
– 14:21b-23; Judas must be Thaddaeus in Matthew 10:3
– it is not so much the resurrection appearances of Christ, but the indwelling of God with His people
– Judas Thaddaeus probably has texts like Dan.7:13-14 and Zech.9:9-10 in mind
– Gal.2:20 (Christ); see Ezek.37:27 and Rev.21:3
3. All this distinguishes the Church from the world.
– If we wish to dwell with God in heaven, He must first dwell with us on earth.