Peter Barnes | Luke 1:31-35
JESUS THE SON
1. The son of David.
– 1:32-33. See 2 Sam.7:12-16. Individual kings from the line of David would fail miserably, but one king would be forever.
– Isa.9:6-7; Luke 2:4; Matt.9:27.
O come, strong Key of David, come/ And open wide our heavenly home;/ Make safe the way that leads on high/ And close the path to misery.
2. The son of Mary.
– 1:31; note 1:34, 35-37.
– Joseph is Jesus’ legal father, Mary is literally Jesus’ mother
– Matt.2:11; Acts 1:14.
– Heb.4:15. He is ‘the babe, the son of Mary’.
What child is this, who laid to rest,
In Mary’s arms is sleeping?
3. The Son of God.
– 1:32, 35; hence Luke 3:22; John 5:16-18.
Martin Luther: ‘When I am told that God became man, I can follow the idea, but I just do not understand what it means.’
Mary was that mother mild,/ Jesus Christ, her little child./ He came down to earth from heaven/ Who is God and Lord of all.