Peter Barnes | John 14:1-3
COME TO THE FATHER’S HOUSE
Joshua 1:1-9; John 14:1-11
– the disciples are troubled; Jesus speaks of the cross first, then the Second Coming
1. Peace comes through faith in Christ.
– 14:1; see Ps.56:3 and Josh.1:9 applied to Christ
– could be saying they already believe in God, now believe in Christ in the same way (NJKV) or believe in God and Christ (NIV, ESV)
2. Jesus’ assurance that the Father’s house has many rooms.
– 14:2; could refer to heaven as in Heb.6:19-20; Ps.26:8
– but probably the Father’s house is the new temple, the church (Eph.2:20-22; 1 Pet.2:5; Heb.3:6
– there are many rooms (same word as in John 14:23); see Rev.7:9-10
3. Christ prepares a place for His people by going to the cross.
– 14:2-3; often taken to mean Christ will go to heaven and come back which is true, but He has the cross in mind.