Peter Barnes | Matthew 16:21-23
THE DEVIL AND THE BELIEVER
– 1 John 5:18 does not mean that the devil cannot sway us.
1. The devil can use what is not obviously evil.
– Matt.16:21-23. Poor Peter – blessed in verse 17 and a Satan in verse 23. Richard Baxter: ‘To intend well in doing ill is no rarity.’
– Eph.6:11; 2 Cor.11:13-14; he is shrewd.
2. The devil can play on our fears.
– Luke 22:31-32; 1 Thess.3:1-5.
– 1 Chron.21:1-4; note God’s sovereignty in 2 Sam.24:1.
– David seems to have forgotten Ps.20:7.
3. The devil will aim to divide Christ’s people.
– e.g. 2 Cor.2:10-11. If the church at Corinth had not forgiven the penitent sinner, Satan would have outwitted them.
– also Eph.4:26-27. Handle anger well or you will give the devil an opportunity. We profess Christ, but the devil is at work.