Peter Barnes | John 3:6; 1 Corinthians 15:22; 2 Corinthians 5:17
A NEW CREATION
(John 3:6; 1 Cor.15:22; 2 Cor.5:17)
– there are two realms
1. Being in the flesh means …
(a) we cannot save ourselves.
– John 3:6; Adam improved is still Adam in sin and death.
(b) we die.
– 1 Cor.15:22; Blaise Pascal: ‘Imagine a number of men in chains, all under sentence of death, some of whom are each day butchered in the sight of the others; those remaining see their own condition in that of their fellows, and looking at each other with grief and despair await their turn. This is an image of the human condition.’
(c) we are part of the old fallen creation.
– 2 Cor.5:17; sin, misery, meaninglessness (Ecclesiastes), death and judgment
2. Being in Christ means …
(a) we are in the realm of the Spirit.
– John 3:6; see Phil.3:3-7
(b) we have everlasting life.
– 1 Cor.15:22; John 5:21
(c) we are part of the new creation.
– 2 Cor.5:17; regeneration and conversion make for a new creation (2 Cor.4:6); see Rev.21:1-5.