Peter Barnes | Jeremiah 34:8-22
NO SALVATION THROUGH A PHONEY REPENTANCE
Jeremiah 34:8-22; Deuteronomy 15:1-18
– probably Zedekiah reneged when the Egyptians gave him hope that the Babylonians would leave (Jer.37:5)
1. Justice and mercy in the Old Testament law on slavery.
– 34:8-10; very different to the slavery in the south of the USA in the 19th century; see Deut.15:12-15 and Jer.34:12-14
2. The sins of perjury and oppression.
– 34:17-22; see what is done in Gen.15:7-21
– Deut.28:1-2, 15
3. The perils of a temporary repentance.
– 34:11, 15-16
– what if Abraham Lincoln had released the slaves in 1863, then returned them all to slavery in 1865?
– 1 Sam.26:21; the second and third soils in Matthew 13
– Acts 26:20