Peter Barnes | Jeremiah 23:5-6
THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS
Jeremiah 22:1-30; 23:1-6
– the last four kings are summarised in Jer.22, and especially Jer.23:1. But the true Shepherd-King is coming.
1. The true Shepherd-King.
– 23:5; see Isa.11:1; Amos 9:11
– on the principle of 2 Cor.1:10-11
2. The King will be righteous.
– 23:5-6; he will act wisely (John 8:46); He will execute justice and righteousness (Psalm 72:2); and He will save His people
– Israel and Judah are true Jews in the New Testament (Gal.6:16; Rev.2:9)
3. Christ is our righteousness.
– 23:6; 1 Cor.1:30; 2 Cor.5:21
– Henry Venn was converted about 1758 through these words.
– Robert Murray M’Cheyne’s Jehovah Tsidkenu: No refuge, no safety in self could I see;/ Jehovah Tsidkenu my Saviour must be.