Peter Barnes | Jeremiah 1:1-10
THE CALL OF JEREMIAH
Jeremiah 1:1-10; Galatians 1:11-24
– like the fall of the Roman Empire. Francis Schaeffer: ‘Jeremiah provides us with an extended study of an era like our own, where men have turned away from God and society has become post-Christian.’ In Adelaide there is the Come Heckle Christ show.
1. Earthly kingdoms decay and crumble.
– 1:1-3; forty years with no response!
2. God chooses His people.
– 1:4-5; Gal.1:15-16; 2 Tim.1:9
– look at the verbs in verse 5
3. We are insufficient, but God is sufficient.
– 1:6; Ex.4:10
– 1:7-9; we need to know our insufficiency plus God’s sufficiency – see Matt.8:8-9
4. God’s Word will have its way.
– 1:10; four of the six infinitives tell of destruction, and two of restoration