Peter Barnes | Matthew 12:28-30
THE KINGDOM COMES
1 Kings 18:20-40; Matthew 12:28-30
1. Christ brings the kingdom of God by the Spirit.
– 22:28; ‘finger of God’ in Luke 11:20; see Ex.8:19; Deut.9:10; Ps.8:3
– the kingdom comes with the giving of the Spirit of God
2. Christ has bound Satan.
– 12:29; Jesus is speaking of something that happened with the first coming – see Luke 10:17-19; John 12:31; Col.2:13-15; 1 John 3:8
– the devil is both a roaring lion (1 Pet.5:8) and a dead duck
– the victory has already been won
3. Neutrality is impossible.
– 12:30; this is not contradicted by Mark 9:38-40
– like Prov.26:4-5; context determines everything.
– Abraham Kuyper: ‘Oh, no single piece of our mental world is to be hermetically sealed off from the rest, and there is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: “Mine!”’