Peter Barnes | Titus 1:1-9
Exodus 18:1-27; Titus 1:1-9
– see Acts 14:21-23
1. Church polity does not define the church but is important.
– 1:5; Crete had many towns
– for the centrality of the gospel see Gal.1:8-9; 1 Cor.15:1-4
– but Paul still seeks to tidy up churches in Crete
2. Church government is to be by presbyter-overseers.
– 1:5, 7; Acts 20:17, 28; elders are overseers (bishops)
3. Presbyters must be qualified men.
(a) family qualifications. 1:6; see 1 Sam.2:22-25; 3:11-14.
(b) personal qualities. 1:7. Negatively, Paul lists five things that he must not be. See Prov.31:3-4; 1 Tim.6:6-10.
Positively, Paul lists six things that an elder must be (Phil.4:8).
(c) doctrinal qualifications. 1:9; 1 John 4:1. Calvin: ‘A pastor needs two voices, one for gathering the sheep and the other for driving away wolves and thieves.’
The church is to be based squarely on the gospel, but having a biblical eldership is meant to strengthen that work.