JESUS AS LORD OF THE SABBATH, part 2
Hosea 6:1-11; Matthew 12:5-8
– Alfred Plummer: ‘The Son of Man vindicates man’s freedom.’ That is not what Jesus is doing – see Matt.5:17.
1. Priests in the Old Testament worked on the Sabbath.
– 12:5; Num.28:9-10.
– John 7:22-23 for circumcisions (non-miraculous sign); note Mark 2:27
2. Christ is greater than the temple and the Sabbath.
– 12:6; Jesus fulfils the temple glory and sacrifices – Mal.3:1; John 1:14; 2:19-21
– 12:8; Christ is the law-giver so His interpretation of the law is authoritative.
3. Mercy is greater than sacrifice.
– 12:7; from Hosea 6:6 already cited in Matt.9:13 in terms of calling Matthew to discipleship
– Micah 6:6-8; Jesus is not ushering in a new law as the liberals think, but pointing out what the Old Testament already says.
– Love does not abolish the law but fulfils it.