Peter Barnes | 1 Timothy 2:8-10
MEN AND WOMEN IN THE CHURCH
(1 Timothy 2:1-10)
1. Men are to pray in a holy and peaceful way.
– women are to pray too (Acts 1:14; 1 Cor.11:5), but men are to lead.
– Jews often prayed with their hands lifted up (Ps.134:2), but David sat down in 2 Samuel 7:18; see Solomon in 1 Kings 8:22, 54
– holy prayer is necessary to be heard (Isa.1:15); no anger or disputing (or perhaps doubting)
– 1 Peter 3:7; Matt.5:23-24
2. Women are to dress modestly and simply.
– 2:9-10; this is not legalism but obedience; modesty does not mean a niqab but Paul is saying something definite and needed. Seneca in the first century called unchastity ‘the greatest evil of our time’
– simply (cf. Prov.11:22; Isa.3:16-23 for models walking the catwalk)
3. Good works are the true adornment.
– 2:10; for examples of good works see 1 Tim.5:10
– Eph.2:8-10; Titus 2:14