Peter Barnes | Isaiah 59:15b-21
GOD’S ANSWER TO SIN
Isaiah 59:15b-21; Ephesians 6:10-18
– Isaiah 59 tells of sin as our problem (59:1-8), a lament for sin (59:9-15a), and God’s answer to sin (59:15b-21).
1. Only God can save us.
– 59:15b-16; note Ps.143:2; Rom.3:20; Gal.2:16
– this is first base in the Christian life
2. The Redeemer has come.
– 59:17-21; the Judge is also the Saviour (e.g. Luke 19:11-15)
– v.19 says either that God comes like a flood (ESV, NIV) or the enemy comes like a flood (NKJV, Allan Harman)
– Christ is the Redeemer who pays the ransom price (Mark 10:45)
3. His covenant is forever.
– 59:21; also Jer.31:31-34; Ezek.16:60; this is the new covenant inaugurated by the Redeemer
– through the Redeemer we have the Spirit of God (John 16:13-14) and the words of God (John 14:26)