Peter Barnes | Isaiah 40:27-31
GOD’S SOVEREIGN PURPOSES
Isaiah 40:27-31; 2 Corinthians 2:12-3:3
– God makes wonderful promises (40:1-11) and He can fulfil them (40:12-26). But will He?
1. We are prone to complain.
– 40:27; not the fierce anger of Psalm 2:1-3
– more a complaint and grumble (Num.11:1-2; Phil.2:14)
– ‘my just claim’ (NKJV), ‘my cause’ (NIV), ‘my right’ (ESV)
2. God is just and all-powerful.
– 40:28; God is everlasting, the creator of all the world (John Knox as a galley slave was ordered to kiss a statue of the Virgin Mary but he threw it into the sea), unwearying (see Ps.121:3-4), and just.
3. God revives the weak.
– Ps.103:5; we wait (Ps.27:14)
– it is fulfilled in this life, but completed in the resurrection.