Peter Barnes | Romans 10:18-20
THE GOSPEL TO THE GENTILES
– Paul cites Psalm 19:4; Deut.32:21; and Isa.65:1
1. The gospel has gone to the ends of the earth.
– 10:18; to Jews or Gentiles? Lloyd-Jones says to both
– Paul applies the natural revelation of Ps.19:1-6 to the gospel
– Col.1:23; this goes to all (John 18:19-21)
2. Israel will be made jealous of the Gentiles.
– 10:19; in Deut.32 Israel makes God jealous because of her idolatry, so God will make Israel jealous
– this notion becomes more hopeful in Rom.11:13-14
– the Gentiles had nothing in Rom.1:21-23 but many are now saved; the Jews had the promises but would be scattered.
3. The Gentiles were brought in by God’s election.
– 10:20; from Isa.65:1; see Rom.9:30; Paul’s own conversion in Acts 9 is clearly all of God’s electing grace
– Matthew Henry: ‘Those saved must thank God; those who perish must thank themselves only.’