Peter Barnes | Isaiah 40:9-11
THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Isaiah 40:9-11; John 10:11-21
– the ESV and NKJV in v.9 say that Zion proclaims the good news to Jerusalem, but the NIV has Zion and Jerusalem receiving the good news (i.e. it is a case of parallelism).
1. Behold your God!
– 40:9; do not fear in Isa.41:10, 13-14; 43:5; 44:2; 51:7; 54:4
– Alec Motyer says ‘have no doubts about the truth of the tidings’
– See the God who is coming
2. He is the Mighty One.
– 40:10; see Matt.28:18; contrast to us in Isa.40:6-8a
– John 12:31; He has defeated Satan, sin, and death
3. He is the Good Shepherd.
– 40:11; Micah 5:4; Ezek.34:11-16; Jesus is this one (John 10:14-14)
– He is both strong and tender, exactly what sinners need