Peter Barnes | Isaiah 40:3-5
A VOICE DECLARES THE GLORY
Isaiah 40:3-5; Luke 3:1-189
– Isaiah looks ahead to the coming of John the Baptist and the Messiah (see Luke 3:3-6)
1. Prepare by repenting.
– 40:3-4; this is a kind of new exodus (Ps.68:7)
– prepare for the coming One (Luke 3:8)
2. God is coming.
– after John will come Yahweh or God or the glory of the Lord (40:3, 5)
– Christ is divine
– the glory becomes clearer from Exodus 16:7, 10; 24:15-17 to 2 Peter 1:16-18; in Christ the apostles beheld the glory (John 1:14)
3. All peoples shall see Him.
– 40:5; the Gentiles will see it; in the Second Coming all will see Him (Rev.1:7)
– Martyn Lloyd-Jones: ‘We either take the view that this gospel of Jesus Christ is the most wonderful thing in the world, or else we must say that it is nothing.’