Peter Barnes | Romans 10:11-13
WHO IS CALLED TO BELIEVE?
– ever wondered if someone waving in your direction was actually waving at you? Some read the Bible like that.
1. The gospel is declared to all.
– God saves the elect (Rom.9:18) but He calls all to be saved
– note 1 Cor.6:9-11; pointing to Mark 9:22-24, Timothy Keller says we need a ‘repentant helplessness’
– ‘God hath bidden all mankind’ (Charles Wesley). You need no other warrant to believe in Christ.
2. Christ is the divine Lord.
– 10:11 cites Isa.28:16 and 10:13 cites Joel 2:32; what is said of Yahweh in the Old Testament is said of Christ in the New Testament. This means that Christ is God, not an angel or a great man.
– the Lord is rich (10:12)
3. We are to call upon Christ for salvation.
– 10:12-13; see also 1 Cor.1:2
– pray to Christ as to the Father
– the invitation is as wide as the world