Peter Barnes | Isaiah 40:1-2
COMFORT IN PARDONED SIN
Isaiah 40:1-2; Matthew 11:20-29
– Martyn Lloyd-Jones: ‘The greatest tragedy in the world today is the view that the average person takes of God.’
– Isa.40-66 looks beyond the Babylonian exile to the coming of the Messiah
1. God declares comfort to His people.
– 40:1-2; look at how sin leaves us (Matt.9:36; Eph.2:12)
– ‘speak to heart of Jerusalem’ (note Matt.15:19)
2. God announces peace to His people.
– 40:2; we are by nature alienated from God (Eph.4:17-19; Isa. 57:20-21)
– God achieves peace (Isa.53:5; Rom.5:1)
– North and South Korea have signed no peace treaty
3. God announces that His justice is satisfied.
– 40:2; note Ps.49:7-9
– blessing can only come after justice has been satisfied; hence the meaning of Calvary.