Peter Barnes | Romans 10:5-8
WHERE IS THE WORD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS?
– Paul is arguing a case – hence the ‘for’ in verses 2, 3, 4, 5 (only in verse 2 in the NIV)
1. Righteousness by the law demands full obedience.
– 10:5; Cranfield says this refers to Christ but it is generic man, everybody.
– Lev.18:5 is cited also in Gal.3:10-13 for the same purpose
2. Righteousness by Christ is by faith.
– 10:6-8; ‘do not say in your heart’ as in Deut.8:17; 9:4
– Paul is alluding to Deut.30:11-14 which refers to the law, but Christ is the end of the law (Rom.10:4)
– no private incarnation or resurrection (note Isa.46:12-13)
3. The word of righteousness is very near.
– 10:8; no pilgrimages to Mecca or Lourdes or the Holy Land
– Gal.3:1; Ps.119:49-50
– Christ’s righteousness is as close as His word.