Peter Barnes | Leviticus 23:9-14
THE FEAST OF FIRSTFRUITS (Lev.23:9-14)
Leviticus 23:9-22; 1 Corinthians 15:20-28
– Lev.23 lists the weekly Sabbath plus seven annual feasts. We are looking to see Christ in them (Col.2:16-17). The Feast of Firstfruits is in spring, and is celebrated on a Sunday. It is a barley crop whereas the Feast of Pentecost refers to the wheat harvest (Lev.23:9-10).
1. This is a wave offering to the Lord on a Sunday.
– wave offering is accompanied by a burnt offering (cf. Lev. 1:1-9), a grain offering, and a drink or wine offering.
2. It is a sign of a greater harvest to come.
– the risen Christ is the firstfruits of a great harvest (1 Cor.15:20)
– guaranteed by the Spirit (Rom.8:23; James 1:18)
3. It is a sign that the whole harvest belongs to the Lord.
– Lev.23:14; Abraham Kuyper: ‘there is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: “Mine!”’