Peter Barnes | Jeremiah 31:27-37
THE NEW COVENANT COMING
Jeremiah 31:27-37; Ezekiel 36:22-38
– a new covenant is promised (Jer.31:31) and proclaimed in Hebrews 8
1. The Holy Spirit will come in power.
– the age of the Messiah is the age of the Spirit (Jer.31:33; Ezek. 36:26-27)
– the Spirit will lead God’s people to obedience (Ezek.36:27) and to His revelation in prophecy (Joel 2:28-29)
– in believing in Christ, we receive the Holy Spirit (John 7:37-39)
2. Sinners will be brought into a personal relationship with God.
– Jer.31:33b-34a; see 1 Tim.2:5; Matt.23:8-10; 1 John 2:20, 27
– Zacchaeus was afar off, but brought near by Christ (Luke 19:1-10)
3. Sin will be forgiven.
– Jer.31:34b; sins were forgiven in the Old Testament (Ps.103:12; Micah 7:19) but not by the sacrifices (Heb.10:1-4)
– Dan.9:24, 26a; 1 John 1:7