Peter Barnes | Isaiah 9:6
JESUS – IMMANUEL
(Isaiah 9:6; Colossians 2:9)
– the Messiah is Immanuel, meaning ‘God with us’ (Matt.1:23). Jesus is the only one with two natures. He is the God-man.
1. Jesus is truly a man.
– Isa.9:6, ‘For to us a child is born, to us a son is given’ (9:6a). He will be a son of David (9:7).
– The Son of God became man so that He could grow up and live a sinless life, and finally come to die.
2. Jesus is truly God.
He has four titles:
(a) Wonderful Counselor. Not like Oprah Winfrey. See Matt.17:5.
(b) Mighty God. See Isa.10:21. Rabbi Hertz: ‘This is quite impossible. No true prophet – indeed no true Israelite – would apply a term like “Mighty God” or “Everlasting Father” to any mortal prince.’ Hence Paul in 1 Tim.1:13.
(c) Everlasting Father. See John 10:30.
(d) Prince of Peace. See Isa. 53:5.
3. The New Testament says that Jesus is truly God and man.
– Col. 2:9; John 14:9; Isaiah says to us: ‘The king who is both God and man in the one person is coming.’ 700 years later the apostle Paul says: ‘The king has come.’