Peter Barnes | Romans 6:23
WAGES OF SIN, FREE GIFT OF GOD
– this concludes Romans 6 which teaches, in Thomas Brooks’ words: ‘Sin may rebel, but it shall never reign in any saint.’
1. Wages versus the free gift.
– we earn wages (cf. Rom.4:4); 2 Thess. 1:8-9 is what we deserve
– the gift is free, but Christ actually earned it (cf. 3:24; 5:1, 11; 7:24-25; 8:39)
– Augustine: ‘it is only of unmerited mercy that any is redeemed, and only in well-merited judgment that any is condemned.’
2. Sin versus God.
– again, the parallel is not exact – it is not Satan versus God, although that would make sense (e.g. Eph.6:11).
– most sinners (except Satanists) do not consciously serve the devil but they do prefer sin to God.
3. Death versus eternal life.
– Satan says there would not be death (Gen.3:1-4), but see Rev.20:14-15
– for eternal life, see John 17:24; Luke 16:22; Rev.22:1-5