Peter Barnes | Romans 6:17
WHAT IS A CHRISTIAN?
– Martyn Lloyd-Jones says that this is ‘one of the great striking and outstanding verses in the Bible’.
1. The Christian was once a slave to sin.
– in darkness (2 Cor.4:6)
– Gal.4:3; Eph.2:1-3
Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee (Charles Wesley)
2. God has changed the sinner in every way.
(a) our wills. We have become obedient (see Rom.1:5; 16:26)
(b) our hearts. Calvin’s motto was ‘My heart I give you, promptly and sincerely.’
(c) our minds. Note the teaching or doctrine. See Rom.12:2.
3. Thank Him for His deliverance.
– not the doctrine is delivered to you (as in 1 Cor.11:2, 23; 15:3) but you are delivered to the doctrine.