Peter Barnes | Exodus 24:1-11
THE COVENANT WITH MOSES
Exodus 24:1-11; Hebrews 9:15-28
– covenant is used in Ex.19:5-6; 24:7-8
1. There was a mediator.
– 24:1-2; God is holy so there needs to be a mediator (Ex.19:12, 21-25)
– 1 Tim.2:5; Heb.8:6; today there is a low view of God, a low view of sin, and hence many see no need for a mediator.
2. There was to be obedience to the book.
– 24:3-4a, 7; this is not to earn salvation by a covenant of works but to live out God’s promises (see Gal.3:15-18).
3. It was sealed by blood.
– 24:4b-6; Godward, this is to satisfy God’s justice;
– 24:8; usward, it is to sprinkle sinners clean (Heb.9:18-22; 1 Pet.1:2)
– this is to be washed in the blood of the Lamb
4. We see God and eat and drink.
– 24:9-11; hence the Lord’s Supper as a covenant meal; the Church is greater Israel (1 Peter 2:9-10 echoes Ex.19:5-6)