Peter Barnes | Genesis 9:8-17
A COVENANT WITH ALL FLESH
Genesis 9:8-17; Hebrews 6:13-20
1. This covenant is with the whole world.
– 9:8-11, 13, 17
– not like Gen.17:10 and 2 Sam.7:12-13
2. This covenant is forever.
– 9:11-12, 15; the other covenants are perpetual but not in the outward forms e.g. Gen.17:7 & Gal.5:2-4; 2 Sam.7:13, 16
3. This is a covenant of grace.
– Gen.8:21; Rom.11:6
4. The sign of the covenant is the rainbow.
– 9:12-16; the rainbow does not stop floods, nor does the covenant sign of baptism bring salvation; it is a God-given sign, and that makes the difference
– Edward Mote: His oath, His covenant and blood/ Support me in the whelming flood;/ When all around my soul gives way,/ He then is all my hope and stay.